This course is designed for individuals with one year of experience in health care compliance, or those looking to learn more about new health care compliance regulations. Students should be experienced health care practitioners.
Certification: Certified Professional Compliance Officer Certification
Certifying Body: American Association of Professional Coders
Contact Hours: 20
This course prepares students to become certified Health Care Compliance Officers. Students develop an understanding of the key requirements needed to effectively develop, implement, and monitor a healthcare compliance program for their practices or help others in their compliance efforts, which are based on governmental regulatory guidelines. Students will emerge from this course fully prepared to sit for the AAPC's Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO™) certification exam. The certification exam itself is not part of this course.
• Demonstrate understanding of the OIG Compliance Guidance for Individual and Small Group Physician Practices, Clinical Laboratories, and Third Party Billing Companies
• Demonstrate knowledge of compliance program effectiveness techniques
• Demonstrate understanding of key healthcare fraud and abuse laws, including the False Claims Act, Stark Laws, and Anti-Kickback Statute, including the associated penalties
• Demonstrate understanding of how the PPACA will affect medical practices
• Demonstrate knowledge of other laws and regulations, including HIPAA, EMTALA, and CLIA
• Demonstrate understanding of how to handle investigations, including self-disclosure protocols
• Demonstrate knowledge of requirements under Corporate Integrity Agreements (CIAs) and Certificate of Compliance Agreements (CCAs)
• Demonstrate understanding of current investigative activities (RACs, ZPICs, MFCUs)
• Demonstrate understanding of various risk areas, including items such as gifts/gratuities, conflicts of interest, use of Advance Beneficiary Notices, teaching physician's guidelines, and incident to services
• The Certified Professional Health Care Compliance Officer course includes 20 non-credit contact hours.
• This course is instructor-facilitated.
• This course prepares students to sit for the AAPC's Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO™) certification exam.
• This course can be run fully online or in hybrid format.
• The Certified Professional Health Care Compliance Officer course is designed as part of the Pearson Workforce Education Core Health Care Curriculum, and can be included with other occupation-specific courses in conjunction with multiple certification programs.
• This course is not a CEU.
• This course is appropriate for entry-level students or incumbent workers.
• This course is a complete, ready-to-deliver, customizable online course, including syllabi, lesson sequences and course objective descriptions.
• The Certified Professional Health Care Compliance Officer course content is written to meet specific curriculum and course outcomes and every content item is mapped to a specific
• This course can be used in any Learning Management System (Blackboard, WebCT, Angel, Moodle, D2L, etc.).
• Interactive classroom lectures are self-contained learning objects.
• The Certified Professional Health Care Compliance Officer course includes instructor resources, optional assignments and assessments, and optional book readings, all aligned with course objectives.
• All content has been developed and created by industry leading subject matter experts and instructional designers.